Tokyo in late August

Hello everyone,

I am going to Tokyo in late August (and kyoto early August) for the first time and after I booked my holiday I was told that it is extremely hot and will be around 30 degrees celcius en very humid and half of the time it will be raining. Now I am worried because I like to do things outside and was planning to picknick and be walking.
Are the rumors true?

Hi Henk,

Tokyo usually starts cooling down by the end of August, making it fairly comfortable, especially in the evenings. Kyoto is likely to be quite hot when you visit, but it’s manageable if you take precautions like:

• Keeping hydrated
  • Avoiding very long walks in the hottest part of the day (mid-morning to mid-afternoon)
  • Keeping a cool, wet mini towel around your neck (you can put some ice blocks in it for extra coolness)
  • Splashing your face and wrists often with tap water
  • Wearing light clothing
  • Popping into airconditioned buildings for a break

This comes from someone who is very sensitive to the heat; most people seem to handle it just fine. :slight_smile:

This might help, too: 7 Quick Tips for Keeping Cool During the Tokyo Summer | Tokyo Cheapo

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 83 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.