Tokyo Subway Ticket 72 hour can it cover all my transportation money?

Hi, I tried to make it simple but it got long.

I tried suica card last year but it costs a lot, even for few stations to stations so this unlimited ride must be the best way.

Tokyo Subway Ticket (24-hour, 48-hour, 72-hour) Only for foreigners.

If I’m staying for 10 days and mostly staying around Tokyo, I’d only need

3 tickets for 72 hours, and 1 ticket for 24 hour ? I wonder if I can purchase more than 1 of these.

I think these tickets only sell in the airport and some famous stations, not all stations.

Can I purchase all the 10 days cover in advance ?
I think the 72 hours counts after using it for the first time, not the moment purchased ?

The only places it won’t cover might be for

Haneda airport to tokyo station. (The Tokyo monorail, Yamanote line ) or (Keikyu line Keihintohoku line)
aren’t covered lines for 72 hour tickets right ? or is Yamanote the only covered line ? I can see
JR yamanote line on the tokyo metro app but it was not green but white and grey.

Tokyo station to Narita Airport. (I’m thinking of using the 72 hour ticket but is there a line to get it cheaper than
1000yen ?) because if not I guess the 1000yen shuttle bus is the best option.
I’ve been thinking maybe it can at least get closer to Narita airport and then I can only pay 300 yen for the airport
line(Keisei line ?) that isn’t probably covered by the 72 hour ticket.

Tokyo Summerland (Chuo line, Itsukaichi line, Ome line is needed. But it is written JR next to it.
However the lines on app doesn’t have these names lines. The 72 hour ticket won’t cover these lines
and have to pay to get there ?

Oiso Long beach (Tokaido line and a bus. ) Tokaido line is not on the app.
72 hour ticket won’t cover any buses at all right ?

Any help would be appreciated. =D Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

That ticket is virtually useless for what you have planned. The 24/48/72 hour ticket only covers the Tokyo Metro and the Toei Subway. The monorail, Keikyu Line, all JR lines (Chuo, Tokaido, Ome etc.), Keisei Line, Odakyu Line, Keio Line etc. are NOT included.

Let’s assume you’re staying somewhere like Ueno. Your return trip to Oiso will cost you about 3,000yen and the trip to Ome will cost you about 2,000yen return. The cheapest JR issued pass you could get is the JR Tokyo Wide pass at 10,000yen for 3 consecutive days - so unless you could add on a 5,000yen+ trip on the third day, you’re better off with a pasmo/suica.

These local passea are hardly ever good value unless you race around Tokyo like a maniac.

Btw, if you think travelling around with a pasmo in Tokyo is expenaive, don’t ever go to London - you’ll freak out :stuck_out_tongue:

So Pasmo all the way is my advice :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much. :innocent:
In japan they let us pay every time we transfer and I don’t know why but
we’ve spend around 2000 yen for the subway from Narita to tokyo somewhere. (I googled and it was 1300yen)
It wasn’t like expensive, expensive but expensive as in if we were to only stay in Tokyo,
it would’ve saved us a lot instead of suica card charging because
it would cost 800~1200 yen for Tokyo subway alone per day, but 1500 for 3 days seems always a win
for cheapo like me. :joy:
However this time we’re visiting a little outside of Tokyo few times. :relaxed:

HI there,
Yeah, I think it’s a little difficult for newcomers to understand that there are lots of different types of rail transport in Tokyo and Japan - each requiring different ticketing.

• JR Railways
  • Private Railways
  • 2 subway systems
  • Shinkansen
    To complicate things, there are both regular services that run on JR Lines and private lines and limited express trains that run on the same lines that require you to reserve a seat.
    One great thing about the Japanese rail system is that trains going to a certain destination, always leave on the same platform and are almost always on time!

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.